Originally constructed in 1949, the building was home to South School. Part of the Jackson Public Schools system, the primary school was later named Honer Elementary. In the 1980s, the building was purchased by a local chapter of the free masons and used as their lodge until just a few years ago.
Our mission is to restore the facility to its former glory and maintain its history of service to the community. After extensive renovations, the building reopened to the public in 2017 as Forty Nine South; a banquet and events center, as well as home to a number of area businesses.